Szechuan Eggplant Recipe | Chinese Cuisine
An unusual side-dish which adds extra spice to meals.
- 1 large eggplant cut into 2-inch long and 1/2-inch thick strips
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 inch fresh root ginger, peeled and shredded
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 4 oz cooked and shredded chicken
- 1 red or green chili, cut into strips
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp red vinegar or wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Heat the wok and add 3 tbsps oil. Add eggplant and stir-fry for 4-5 minutes. The eggplant will absorb a lot of oil; keep stirring or else they will bum. Remove from wok and put to one side.
- Heat the wok and add 2 tbsps oil. Add the garlic and ginger and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the onions and fry for 2 minutes. Add the chicken and chili. Cook for 1 minute.
- Return the eggplants to the wok. Add the blended seasoning ingredients and simmer for 6-7 minutes.
- Stir in the blended sauce ingredients and simmer until the sauce thickens. Serve with extra sesame oil if desired. #TIME: Preparation takes 15 minutes, cooking takes 18-20 minutes.# #COOK’S TIP: Vary the spiciness of this dish by increasing the quantity of chilies.#