If this is healthy eating, bring it on! Those eating with you won’t even realize there is a health kick happening as this is so satisfying. There will easily be second helpings and you will make it again and again.
PREP TIME: 20 min
COOK TIME: 40 min
READY TIME: 1 h
CALORIES: 305 (per serving)
⇓ You may also listen to the recipe by pressing the play button below.
For the Chicken and Rice
- 300 g free-range skinless chicken mini fillets, cut in half lengthways
- 5 tablespoons unsweetened natural yoghurt (about 4% fat)
- 2 tablespoons extra hot Indian curry paste
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 100 g white pure basmati rice
For the Salad
- 150 g vine-ripened tomatoes, cut into quarters if small or eighths if large
- Small handful fresh coriander, tender stalks and leaves chopped
- 1 spring onion, outer leaves and top removed, green and white parts finely chopped
- 1 small red bird’s eye chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- Pinch of flaked sea salt, such as Maldon
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened natural yoghurt (about 4% fat) (optional)
1 Mix the chicken with the yogurt and curry paste. Set aside.
2 In a wide shallow non-stick frying pan add the onion, cumin, rice and 280 ml water. Mix once, set over a high heat and boil rapidly uncovered until the water disappears and it begins to crackle, turn the heat to the lowest setting.
3 Spread the chicken and yoghurt mixture over the surface of the rice in one layer, covering with a large pan lid so the steam cannot escape. Continue to cook on the lowest heat for 12 minutes, or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
4 Meanwhile combine the tomatoes, coriander, spring onion, chilli and salt in a medium bowl to make the salad.
5 Serve the rice and yogurt chicken on warm plates with the tomato salad and an extra dollop of yoghurt.
Calories: 305.5 Kcal
Fat: 4.1 g
Cholesterol: 140.0 mg
Sodium: 494.1 mg
Potassium: 803.7 mg
Carbs: 6.4 g
Protein: 57.7 g