Steamed Yoghurt Chicken and Cumin Rice with Spicy Tomato Salad Recipe
If this is healthy eating, bring it on! Those eating with you won’t even realize there is a health kick happening as this is so satisfying. There will easily be second helpings and you will make it again and again. You may also listen to the recipe by pressing the play button below:
- #For the Chicken and Rice#
- 300 g free-range skinless chicken mini fillets, cut in half lengthways
- 5 tablespoons unsweetened natural yoghurt (about 4% fat)
- 2 tablespoons extra hot Indian curry paste
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 100 g white pure basmati rice
- #For the Salad#
- 150 g vine-ripened tomatoes, cut into quarters if small or eighths if large
- Small handful fresh coriander, tender stalks and leaves chopped
- 1 spring onion, outer leaves and top removed, green and white parts finely chopped
- 1 small red bird’s eye chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- Pinch of flaked sea salt, such as Maldon
- #To Finish#
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened natural yoghurt (about 4% fat) (optional)
- Mix the chicken with the yoghurt and curry paste. Set aside.
- In a wide shallow non-stick frying pan add the onion, cumin, rice and 280ml water. Mix once, set over a high heat and boil rapidly uncovered until the water disappears and it begins to crackle, turn the heat to the lowest setting.
- Spread the chicken and yoghurt mixture over the surface of the rice in one layer, covering with a large pan lid so the steam cannot escape. Continue to cook on the lowest heat for 12 minutes, or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Meanwhile combine the tomatoes, coriander, spring onion, chilli and salt in a medium bowl to make the salad.
- Serve the rice and yoghurt chicken on warm plates with the tomato salad and an extra dollop of yoghurt.