Spiced Duck with Pears | Mediterranean Foods
- Calories: 2191kj
- FAT TOTAL: 31g
- SATURATED FAT: 5g
- FIBRE: 10g
- PROTEIN: 27g
- CHOLESTEROL: 107mg
- SODIUM: 180.44mg
- CARBS (SUGAR): 17g
- CARBS (TOTAL): 17g
- #This delicious casserole is based on a Catalan dish that uses goose or duck. The sautéed pears are added towards the end of cooking, along with picarda sauce, a pounded pine nut and garlic paste which both flavors and thickens.# Preheat the oven to 350°F (Gas 41/80°C). Fry the duck portions in the olive oil for about 5 minutes until the skin is golden. Transfer the duck to an ovenproof dish and drain off all but 1 tbsp (15 ml) of the fat left in the pan.
- Add the onion to the pan and fry for 5 minutes. Add the cinnamon stick, thyme and stock and bring to the boil. Pour over the duck and bake in the oven for 1 hours and 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel, core and halve the pears and fry quickly in the oil until beginning to turn golden on the cut sides. Pound the garlic, pine nuts and saffron in a mortar, with a pestle, to make a thick, smooth paste.
- Add the paste to the casserole along with the raisins and pears. Bake for a further 15 minutes until the pears are tender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and garnish with parsley or thyme. Serve with mashed potatoes and a green vegetable, if you like. #Cook’s Tip: A good stock is essential for this dish. Buy a large duck (plus two extra duck breasts if you want portions to be generous) and joint it yourself, using the giblets and carcass for stock. Alternatively buy duck portions and a carton of chicken stock.#