Pan-Fried Chicken with Pesto | Mediterranean Foods
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Fresh basil leaves to garnish
- #For the pesto#
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) olive oil
- ½ cup (2 oz/50 g) pine nuts
- ⅔ cup (2 oz/50 g) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup (2 oz/50 g) fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup (½ oz/15 g) fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Salt and ground black pepper
- #Pan-fried chicken, served with warm pesto, makes a deliciously quick main course. Serve with boiled pasta or rice noodles and braised vegetables, such as baby carrots and celery.# Heat the olive oil in a frying pan. Add the chicken breasts and cook gently for about 15 minutes, turning several times, until the chicken is tender, lightly browned and thoroughly cooked.
- Meanwhile, make the pesto. Place the olive oil, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, basil leaves, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth and well mixed.
- Remove the chicken from the pan, cover and keep hot. Reduce the heat slightly, then add the pesto to the pan and cook gently for a few minutes, stirring constantly, until the pesto has warmed through.
- Pour the warm pesto over the chicken, then garnish with basil leaves. Serve with braised baby carrots and celery, if you like.