Mediterranean Cuisine: Chicken and Apricot Filo Pie Recipe
- 3oz (75g-1/2) cup bulgur wheat
- 3oz – 6 tbsp (75g) butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 lb (450g) minced chicken
- 2oz 1/4 cup (50g) ready-to-eat dried apricots, finely chopped
- 1 oz 1/4 cup (25g) blanched almonds, chopped
- 1 tsp (5ml) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) ground allspice
- 2 fl oz 1/4 cup (50ml) Greek yogurt
- l tbsp (15ml) snipped fresh chives
- 2 tbsp (30ml) chopped fresh parsley
- 6 large sheets filo pastry
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Chives, to garnish
- #The filling for this pie has a Middle Eastern flavor – minced chicken combined with apricots, bulgur wheat, nuts and spices.# Preheat the oven to 200°C/ 400°F/Gas 6. Put the bulgur wheat in a bowl with 120 ml/4 fl oz/ 1/2 cup boiling water. Soak for 5-10 minutes, until the water is absorbed.
- Heat 1 oz/2 tbsp (25 g) of the butter in a pan, and gently fry the onion and chicken until pale golden.
- Stir in the apricots, almonds and bulgur wheat and cook for a further 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cinnamon, allspice, yogurt, chives and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Melt the remaining butter. Unroll the filo pastry and cut into 25 cm/10 in rounds. Keep the pastry rounds covered with a clean, damp dish towel to prevent drying.
- Line a 23 cm/9 in loose-based flan tin with three of the pastry rounds, brushing each one with butter as you layer them. Spoon in the chicken mixture, cover with three more pastry rounds, brushed with melted butter as before.
- Crumple the remaining rounds and place them on top of the pie, then brush over any remaining melted butter. Bake the pie for about 30 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown and crisp. Serve Chicken and Apricot Filo Pie hot or cold, cut in wedges and garnished with chives.