Herb and Oat Crusted Chicken With Pomegranate and Spinach Recipe
- 6 pieces skinless chicken breast halves
- #For The Herb Crust#
- 1 cup oats
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon each sage and thyme
- A handful of fresh parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 egg and 1 egg white, ligtly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- #For The Vegetable Sauce#
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 5 large plum tomatoes, peeled,seeded and cut into large chunks
- 1 tomato, seeds removed and grated
- 500 g / 1 lb fresh spinach leaves, thoroughly washed and spin dried
- 1/2 cup white wine
- Seeds of 1/2 pomegranate, skin and pith removed
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- #I like to re-invent chicken dishes. In this recipe I have incorporated parts from three different ones and the end product is one of the tastiest chicken recipe I have. The presentation is pleasing To the eye with tones of golden brown, red and green. It is a perfect dish for fall and winter and definitely worthy of a celebration. Don’t be put off by the long list of ingredients – it is assembled easily and speedily with a bit of preplanning.# Preheat oven to 400 °F / 200 °C.
- Brine your meat.
- Spread oats on a baking sheet and bake until golden. Stir once in a while for even browning. Combine oats, garlic, parsley leaves, sage and thyme, salt and pepper in the food procossor until finely incorporated.
- Place on a flat dish. Dip chicken pieces first in lightly beaten egg mixture. And then press both sides of chicken breasts in oat mixture. Place chicken pieces in an oven pan coated with oil.
- Drizzle melted butter over chicken and bake for 35 – 40 minutes until browned.
- While the chicken is cooking, slowly fry garlic in olive oil. Before it turns brown, add the wine and cook for a few minutes. Then add the chopped tomatoes and the grated one.
- Simmer for a short while until some of the water has evaporated. Throw in your spinach which will wilt in a minute. Check for seasoning and add a good pinch of sugar. By this time your chicken should be cooked.
- Spoon sauce on a large serving platter to form a bed for the chicken pieces. Place oat crusted chicken breasts onto the sauce and drizzle with olive oil if you like.
- Sprinkle with the pomegranate seeds. Bon Appetit.