Five-Spice Beef with Broccoli Recipe
- 8 oz fillet or rump steak
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ tsp finely grated ginger
- ½ tsp five-spice powder
- 2 tbsps peanut oil
- 4 oz broccoli florets
- Bunch of chives, snipped into 1-inch lengths
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- ¾ cup hot water
- 2 tsps cornstarch, slaked in 1 tbsp cold water
- #A traditional recipe boosted by the addition of five-spice powder.# Cut steak into thin slices, then into narrow strips. Mix together with garlic, ginger, and five-spice powder.
- Heat wok, add 1 tbsp of oil, and stir-fry broccoli for 8 minutes.
- Remove broccoli and add remaining oil.
- Add meat, and stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Add broccoli, soy sauce, salt and water, and heat to simmering point.
- Mix cornstarch with cold water, and pour into wok, stirring continuously until liquid thickens.
- Toss in chives, stir, and serve immediately with boiled rice. #TIME# Preparation takes 15 minutes, cooking takes 15 minutes.