Empress Chicken Recipe | Microwave
As its name suggests this is a special dish fit for any guest. TIME: Preparation takes 30 minutes, microwave cooking takes 15 minutes plus 3 minutes standing time. COOK’S TIP: Dried Chinese mushrooms have a very distinctive flavor so only substitute fresh mushrooms as a last resort.
- 4 chicken wings
- 4 chicken breasts, skinned
- 12 dried Chinese mushrooms 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock mixed with 3 tbsps cornstarch
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 pieces star anise 2 slices ginger root
- 3 tbsp rice wine 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 cans bamboo shoots drained and cut in strips if thick
- 4 green onions, sliced
- With a heavy clever, chop the chicken, through the bones, into large chunks. Remove any splinters of bone. Soak the mushrooms in hot water for 30 minutes. Drain and trim off the stems.
- Put the chicken, mushrooms and remaining ingredients, except the onions and bamboo shoots, into a deep casserole.
- Cover well and cook 15 minutes on HIGH or until the chicken is completely cooked.
- Add the bamboo shoots and sliced onions. Leave to stand 3 minutes and remove star anise before serving.