Easy Chinese Cuisine: Duck with Bamboo Shoots Recipe
- 4 oz bamboo shoots, cut into thin slices
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tsp chopped fresh ginger root
- 1 tbsp Hoisin sauce
- 2 duck breasts
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt and pepper
- #Stir-fried bamboo shoots, served with duck breasts and Hoisin-based sauce.# Cook the bamboo shoots in boiling, lightly salted water for approximately 15 minutes. Drain thoroughly and set aside.
- Mix the sugar and water together in a small saucepan, stirring thoroughly.
- Add the ginger and the Hoisin sauce. Place over a gentle heat and cook until a light syrup is formed.
- Brush this syrup over the duck breasts.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the duck breasts, skin-side down first. Sear on each side. Take out and finish cooking in a hot oven, 425°F, for approximately 15 minutes.
- Shortly before the duck breasts are cooked, stir-fry the bamboo shoots in the oil used to sear the duck breasts. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot with the sliced duck breasts. #SERVING IDEA# Serve any leftover sauce in a small bowl to accompany the duck. #WATCHPOINT# Don’t forget to begin searing the meat in the frying pan skin-side down and then finish with the other side.