Deep-Fried Crispy Chicken Recipe
- 3-4 lbs chicken
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp five-spice powder
- 1 1/2 maltose
- 2 tbsps malt vinegar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- Oil for deep frying
- Wash the chicken and hang it up by a hook to drain and dry. The skin will dry quickly. Pour boiling water over the chicken 4-5 times, to partially cook the skin. This will make the skin crisp during frying. Rub salt and five-spice powder well inside the chicken cavity.
- Dissolve the maltose and vinegars in a pan over a gentle heat. Pour over the chicken. Repeat several times, catching the maltose solution in a drip tray.
- Leave the chicken to hang and dry for 1 1/2 – 2 hours, until the skin is smooth and shiny.
- Heat the oil for deep frying. Deep-fry the chicken for 10 minutes. Ladle hot oil carefully over the chicken continually, until the chicken is deep brown in color. (The skin puffs out slightly.)
- Cook for a further 3-4 minutes and remove from the oil. Drain on paper towels. Cut into small pieces and serve with a dip. #COOK’S TIP# Maltose is similar to molasses and can be substituted by honey, treacle or syrup.