Chinese Cuisine: Chicken with Walnuts and Celery Recipe
- 8 oz boned chicken, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tsps soy sauce
- 2 tsps brandy
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsps oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 3 sticks celery, cut in diagonal slices
- 3/4 cup water or chicken stock
- 1 tsps oyster sauce
- #Oyster sauce lends a subtle, slightly salty taste to this Cantonese dish.# Combine the chicken with the soy sauce, brandy, cornstarch, salt and pepper.
- Heat a wok and add the oil and garlic. Cook for about 1 minute to flavor the oil.
- Remove the garlic and add the chicken in two batches. Stir-fry quickly without allowing the chicken to brown.
- Remove the chicken and add the walnuts to the wok. Cook for about 2 minutes until the walnuts are slightly brown and crisp.
- Slice the celery, add to the wok and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the oyster sauce and water and bring to the boil.
- When boiling, return the chicken to the pan and stir to coat all the ingredients well.
- Serve immediately.