Chinese Cuisine: Chicken Chop Suey Recipe
- 2 tbsps light soy sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar Salt to taste
- 1 lb boned chicken, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tbsps cooking oil
- 1 onion, cut into chunks
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 2 tsps sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp monosodium glutamate (optional)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup chicken stock
- #Give up the Chinese restaurant and create your own delicious version of this great favorite.# Mix the soy sauce with the sugar and salt and add the chicken pieces. Allow to marinate for 5 minutes. Drain the chicken and reserve the marinade.
- Heat the wok and add the oil. Fry the chicken for 2-3 minutes. Remove the chicken.
- Fry the onions for 2-3 minutes and add the bean sprouts. Stir-fry for 4-5 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan and add the sesame oil.
- Dissolve the monosodium glutamate and the cornstarch in the stock and pour over the chicken mixture. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring, until the sauce thickens. #COOK’S TIP# Bean sprouts should always be bought on the day they are to be used as they deteriorate rapidly.