Chicken with Tomatoes and Honey | Easy Mediterranean Recipes
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp (1 oz/25 g) butter
- 4 chicken quarters or 1 whole chicken, quartered
- 1 onion, grated or finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- A good pinch of ground ginger
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cinnamon
- 3-3½ lb (1,5 kg) tomatoes, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) clear honey
- ½ cup (2 oz/50 g) blanched almonds
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sesame seeds
- Salt and ground black pepper
- #Honey is surprisingly good in savory dishes such as this one, making it rich rather than sweet.# Heat the oil and butter in a large casserole. Add the chicken pieces and cook over a medium heat for about 3 minutes until the chicken is lightly browned.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger, cinnamon, tomatoes and seasoning, and heat gently until the tomatoes begin to bubble.
- Lower the heat, cover and simmer gently for 1 hour, stirring and turning the chicken occasionally, until it is completely cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken pieces to a plate. Increase the heat and cook the tomato mixture, stirring frequently, until the sauce is reduced to a thick puree. Stir in the honey, cook for 1 minute and then return the chicken to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes to heat through. Dry-fry the almonds and sesame seeds until golden, or toast them under the grill.
- Transfer the chicken and sauce to a warmed serving dish and sprinkle with the almonds and sesame seeds. Serve at once, with crusty bread.