Chicken with Chorizo Recipe | Mediterranean Foods
- 1 medium chicken, jointed, or 4 chicken legs, halved
- 2 tsp (10 ml) ground paprika
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) olive oil
- 2 small onions, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 5 oz (150 g) chorizo sausage
- 14 oz (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 12-16 bay leaves
- 5 tbsp (75 ml) medium sherry
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Rice or potatoes to serve
- #The addition of chorizo sausage and sherry gives a warm, interesting flavor to this simple Spanish casserole. Serve with rice or boiled potatoes.# Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C/Gas 5). Coat the chicken pieces in the paprika, making sure they are evenly covered, then season with salt. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and fry the chicken until brown.
- Transfer to an ovenproof dish. Add the onions to the pan and fry quickly. Add the garlic and sliced chorizo and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, two of the bay leaves and sherry and bring to the boil. Pour over the chicken and cover with a lid. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove the lid and season to taste. Cook for a further 20 minutes until the chicken is tender and golden. Serve with rice or boiled potatoes, garnished with bay leaves.