Chicken Livers with Chinese Leaves and Almonds Recipe
- 8 oz chicken livers
- 3 tbsps oil
- 2 oz split blanched almonds
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 2 oz snow peas
- 8-10 Chinese leaves
- 2 tsps cornstarch mixed with 1 tbsp cold water
- 2 tbsps soy sauce
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- Pick over the chicken livers and remove any discolored areas or bits of fat. Cut the chicken livers into even-sized pieces.
- Heat a wok and pour in the oil. When the oil is hot, turn the head down and add the almonds. Cook, stirring continuously, over gentle heat until the almonds are a nice golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Add the garlic, cook for 1-2 minutes to flavor the oil and remove. Add the chicken livers and cook for about 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove the chicken livers and set them aside.
- Add the snow peas to the wok and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Shred the Chinese leaves finely, add to the wok and cook for 1 minute. Remove the vegetables and set them aside.
- Mix together the cornstarch and water’ with the soy sauce and stock. Pour into the wok and bring to the boil. Cook until thickened and clear. Return all the other ingredients to the sauce and reheat for 30 seconds. Serve immediately. #COOK’S TIP# Remove any discolored portions from the livers as these can cause a bitter taste. Livers may be served slightly pink in the middle. Serve with plain or fried rice. Chinese noodles also make a good accompaniment.