Chicken Casserole with Spiced Figs Recipe
- #For the figs#
- ⅔ cup (5 oz/150 g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (4 fl oz/120 ml) white wine vinegar
- 1 lemon slice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 lb (450 g) fresh figs
- #For the chicken#
- ½ cup 4 fl oz/120 ml) semi-sweet white wine
- Zest of a ½ lemon
- 3-3½ lb (1.5 kg) chicken, cut into eight pieces
- 2 oz (50 g) lardons, or thick streaky bacon cut into strips
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- ¼ cup (2 fl oz/50 ml) chicken stock
- Salt and ground black pepper
- #The Spanish Catalans have various recipes for fruit with meat. This is quite an unusual one, but it uses one of the fruits most strongly associated with the Mediterranean: the fig.# Put the sugar, vinegar, lemon slice and cinnamon stick in a pan with ½ cup (4 fl oz/120 ml) water.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. Add the figs, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and leave for 3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C/Gas 4). Drain the figs, and place in a bowl. Add the wine and lemon rind. Season the chicken.
- In a large frying pan cook the lardons or streaky bacon strips until the fat melts and they turn golden. Transfer to a shallow ovenproof dish, leaving any fat in the pan.
- Add the oil to the pan and brown the chicken pieces all over.
- Drain the figs, adding the wine to the pan with the chicken. Boil until the sauce has reduced and is syrupy. Transfer the contents of the frying pan to the ovenproof dish and cook in the oven, uncovered, for about 20 minutes.
- Add the figs and chicken stock, cover and return to the oven for a farther 10 minutes. Serve with a green salad.