Olive Oil Roasted Chicken With Mediterranean Vegetables Recipe
- 1.75kg/4-4 1/2 lb roasting chicken
- 2/3 cup (150 ml – 1/4 pint) extra virgin
- Olive oil
- 1/2 lemon
- Few sprigs of fresh thyme
- l lb (450g) small new potatoes
- 1 aubergine, cut into l inc (2.5cm) cubes
- 1 red pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and quartered
- 8 large garlic cloves, unpeeled
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper
- #This is a delicious French alternative to a traditional roast chicken. Use a corn-fed or free-range bird, if available. This recipe also works well with guinea fowl.# Preheat the oven to 200°C/ 400°F/Gas 6. Rub the chicken all over with olive oil and season with pepper.
- Place the lemon half inside the bird, with a sprig or two of thyme. Put the chicken breast side down in a large roasting pan. Roast for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and season with salt. Turn the chicken right side up, and baste with the juices from the pan.
- Surround the bird with the potatoes, roll them in the pan juices, and return the roasting pan to the oven, to continue roasting.
- After 30 minutes, add the aubergine, red pepper, fennel and garlic cloves to the pan. Drizzle with the remaining oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Add any remaining thyme to the vegetables. Return to the oven, and cook for 30-50 minutes more, basting and turning the vegetables occasionally.
- To find out if the chicken is cooked, push the tip of a sharp knife between the thigh and breast. If the juices run clear, it is done. The vegetables should be tender and just beginning to brown.
- Serve the chicken and vegetables from the pan, or transfer the vegetables to a serving dish, joint the chicken and place it on top. Serve the skimmed juices in a gravy boat.