Chicken with Olives Mediterranean Recipe
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 3-3½ lb (1.5 kg) chicken
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh root ginger, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp (5 ml) paprika
- 1 cup (8 fl oz/250 ml) chicken stock
- 2-3 saffron strands, soaked in 1 tbsp (15 ml) boiling water
- 4-5 spring onions, chopped
- 15-20 pitted black and green olives
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Salt and ground black pepper
- #Olives and lemon make a wonderful combination, one which is used traditionally in the Middle East and north Africa.# Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the chicken on all sides until golden.
- Add the onion, ginger, garlic, paprika and seasoning, and continue frying over a moderate heat, coating the chicken with the mixture.
- Add the chicken stock and saffron, and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes until the chicken is almost done.
- Add the spring onions and cook for a further 15 minutes until the chicken is well cooked and the surrounding sauce is reduced to about half. Add the olives.
- Stir in the lemon juice. Cook over a medium heat for a further 5 minutes. Place the chicken on a large, deep plate and pour over the sauce. Serve with rice or flat bread and a salad of mixed leaves and cherry tomatoes, if you like.