Chicken and Eggplant (Aubergine) Khoresh Recipe | Mediterranean Food
This eggplant and pepper stew is often served on festive occasions in Iran and is believed to have been a favorite with royalty.
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) oil
- 1 whole chicken or 4 large chicken pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 14 oz (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 8 fl oz 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 3 eggplants, sliced
- 3 peppers (preferably red, green and yellow), seeded and sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) ground cinnamon
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Heat l tbsp (15 ml) of the oil in a large saucepan or flameproof casserole, and fry the chicken or chicken pieces on all sides for about 10 minutes or until golden all over. Add the onion and fry for 4-5 minutes more, until the onion is golden brown.
- Add the crushed garlic, chopped tomatoes and their liquid, water seasoning. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer slowly, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil and fry the eggplants in batches until light golden. Transfer to a plate with a spatula. Add the peppers to the pan and fry for a few minutes until slightly softened.
- Place the eggplants over the chicken or chicken pieces and then add the peppers. Sprinkle the lemon juice and cinnamon over the top, then cover and continue cooking over a low heat for about 45 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving plate and spoon the eggplants and peppers around the edge. Reheat the sauce if necessary, adjust the seasoning and pour over the chicken. Serve with rice. #VARIATION# Substitute zucchinis for some or all of the eggplants, if you like.