Sweet Pork with Vegetables Recipe | Pork Chinese Style
- 1 onion
- ¼ cucumber
- ½ red pepper, seeded
- ½ green pepper, seeded
- 1 slice pineapple, fresh or canned
- 4 tbsps pineapple juice
- 3 tbsps wine vinegar
- 1 tsp chili sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ tomato, peeled, seeded and crushed
- 1½ cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsps oil
- 1 tsp cornstarch, mixed with 1 tsp water
- 1 lb pork, cut into thin strips
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- #Pork with matchstick vegetables in a marvellous sweet sauce.# Cut the onion, cucumber, red and green pepper and pineapple into thin matchsticks.
- In a small bowl, mix together the pineapple juice, vinegar, chili sauce, sugar, crushed tomato and chicken stock.
- Heat the oil in a wok, stir-fry the pork and the garlic. Once the meat is golden brown, remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add all the vegetables and the pineapple to the wok and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Return the pork to the wok with the vegetables and pineapple and pour over the contents of the bowl. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring, and shaking, the wok from time to time.
- Thicken the sauce by adding the cornstarch gradually, stirring continuously until the desired consistency is reached. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve piping hot. #TIME# Preparation takes about 25 minutes and cooking takes approximately 40 minutes. #VARIATION# Replace the pineapple juice with orange juice. #WATCHPOINT# The vegetables must be stir-fried quickly so that they remain slightly crisp.