Sweet and Sour Pork and Pineapple Recipe
- 1 lb lean pork fillet, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tbsps light soy sauce
- 2 tbsps white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsps tomato paste
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsps peanut oil
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp grated root ginger
- ½ cup water
- 1 can pineapple pieces, drained
- Fresh Chinese parsley (cilantro) to garnish
- #Sweet and sour recipes are perfect for mixed gatherings as children often enjoy them as much as adults.# Place pork in bowl. Pour over light soy sauce and toss together. Leave for 15 minutes.
- Mix together vinegar, tomato paste and sugar, and set aside.
- Heat wok and add oil. Remove pork from soy sauce, and add soy sauce to sauce mixture.
- Toss pork in cornstarch, coating well. When oil is hot, brown pork well all over.
- Remove from pan and reduce heat. Fry garlic and ginger for 30 seconds.
- Add water. Bring to the boil, then return pork to wok. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add sauce mixture and pineapple, and simmer for a further 15 minutes. Garnish with Chinese parsley. #TlME# Preparation takes 20 minutes, cooking takes 45 minutes. #SERVING IDEA# Serve with rice or noodles.