Steamed Lamb with Mushroom Sauce Recipe
- 2¼ lbs boned leg of lamb, cut into strips
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsps oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- Pinch monosodium glutamate (optional)
- 5 tbsps light soy sauce
- 3 tbsps rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tsp crushed black pepper
- 1 inch fresh root ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- Few drops sesame oil
- #A great combination that should please most appetites.# Put the lamb into a saucepan and add sufficient water to cover. Boil 5 minutes. Drain the lamb and retain the water. Arrange lamb strips in a deep dish and sprinkle the green onions on top. Season with pepper and salt.
- Heat the oil in a wok and fry the garlic until brown. Remove the garlic and discard.
- Mix together the cornstarch, monosodium glutamate, soy sauce, wine, crushed pepper, ginger and 4 tbsps reserved water.
- Stir the cornstarch mixture into the oil in the wok, add the mushrooms and cook for 1-2 minutes. Pour over the lamb.
- Cover the lamb with overlapping foil and tie around the rim. Put the dish in a steamer and steam over boiling water for 2 hours. Serve with the sesame oil sprinkled over the lamb. #TIME: Preparation takes 20-25 minutes, cooking takes 2 hours 10 minutes.#