Smorgasbord Recipes: Spicy Chicken Livers
- 4 oz (100 g) chicken livers
- 1 oz (25 g) soft butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 slice white bread
- 1 large lettuce leaf
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons red wine
- 1 teaspoon cranberry sauce
- 1/2 red apple
- Few drops lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 wedge lemon
- Wash the chicken livers in cold water, trim and dry well.
- Melt half the butter in a pan and fry the livers for 8 minutes over a moderate heat, turning continuously.
- Season with salt and when cool, cut into equal slices. Toast the bread, spread with the rest of the butter and top with the lettuce.
- Arrange the liver on the lettuce and spoon the mayonnaise on top.
- Mix the red wine with the cranberry sauce and spoon over the mayonnaise.
- Wash, core and coarsely grate the apple. Sprinkle with lemon juice and sugar and arrange around one corner of the bread.
- Garnish with a wedge of lemon.