Smoked Salmon on Winter Vegetables Recipe
- 300 g / 10 oz smoked salmon slices
- 2 medium celeriac, peeled, sliced and cut into fine julliene
- 1 small red onion, cut in half and very thinly sliced
- Half an apple, cored, and cut into fine julliene
- 1 carrot, coarsely grated
- 3-4 dill sprigs, chopped
- 8 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- #For a long while it was very fashionable to serve smoked salmon on a bed of shredded lettuce. Then it sort of fell out of fashion with the arrival of smoked salmon wrapped around peeled fresh figs. Salmon served in any form is always a favorite of mine. This recipe is a variation on the original theme and one can easily develop more variations.# Soak onion slices in cold water for 10 minutes to take away the raw taste.
- Rub slices with fingers to separate onion into its single layers. Squeeze all excess water out and pat dry between paper towels.
- Place all vegetables into a bowl. In another bowl mix the mayonnaise, yogurt, mustard, lemon zest and juice. Season according to your taste.
- Using a fork work sauce into vegetables. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Divide vegetable onto Individual plates. Top with folds of smoked salmon. Place 1/4 of a lemon on each plate and garnish with dill sprigs or a tiny spoonfull of caviar.