Rice Pilaf | Easy Recipes
You may also listen to the recipe by pressing the play button below:
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) vegetable oil
- 10 oz – 300 g (long-grain) rice
- 1 1/4 pints (750 ml) water
- Salt and pepper
- #When making pilaf, the rice is first quickly fried in vegetable oil to help keep the grains separate as the rice simmers. It is then cooked in a measured amount of water so the liquid is all absorbed during cooking, leaving the rice light, tender, and flaky.# Peel and chop the onion. Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan, add the onion, and cook, stirring, until soft but not brown, 1-2 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring, until the oil is absorbed and the rice looks translucent, 2-3 minutes. “Stir rice in oil to keep grains separate”
- Pour the water into the saucepan, season the rice with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pan, reduce the heat, and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Let stand, still covered, 10 minutes, then stir with a fork.