Paella | Seafood Recipes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 chicken joints
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, cored, deseeded and sliced
- 4 tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 250 g/8 oz long-grain rice
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered saffron
- 600 ml/1 pint hot chicken stock
- 8 mussels, scrubbed and bearded
- 12 raw king prawns, unshelled
- 125 g/4 oz piece garlic sausage, chopped
- 50 g/2 oz frozen peas
- Salt and pepper
- Lemon wedges, to garnish
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large shallow pan and quickly brown the chicken joints. Remove from the pan.
- Wipe the pan and heat the remaining oil. Add the onion, red pepper, tomatoes and garlic and fry gently for 8—10 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and saffron and season to taste. Cook for 3 minutes, then stir in the stock and bring slowly to the boil. Gently stir with a fork, then arrange the chicken, mussels, prawns, sausage and peas on top of the rice. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Discard any mussels that have not opened. Garnish with lemon wedges and serve immediately.