Meatballs in Lemon and Wine Sauce Recipe
- #For The Meatballs#
- 500 g / 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 egg and 1 egg yolk
- A handful of parsley leaves, very finely chopped
- Zest of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3/4 cup hot water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- #For Garnish#
- Half a lemon, very thinly sliced and each slice cut into quarters
- #Meatballs – everybody’s favorite dish. This one has a tangy taste due to the lemons. I think this recipe works well with ground turkey or chicken meat as well. But then consider using only 2 egg yolks and 1/2 cup additional bread crumbs. This dish received excellent ratings from the tasting panel.# Combine the meat, grated cheese, breadcrumbs, egg, egg yolk, parsley and zest in a bowl. Mix with a fork. Then add the water to moisten the mixture and then the olive oil and the seasoning.
- Use your fingers to incorporate ingredients finely. It is of course much faster to throw everything into the food processor and pulse on and off until a fine mixture forms.
- Next form small sized balls (smaller than golf balls) out of the mixture. Put flour onto a plate and roll each ball in the flour until lightly coated.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat and fry all of the meatballs on all sides until browned. Next add the wine and let the alcohol burn off for a few minutes before adding the hot water.
- Scatter bay leaves on the meatballs and cook covered over a gentle heat for 5 – 6 minutes.
- Remove cover and pour in the lemon juice. Continue cooking for a few minutes more. By this time the sauce should be syrupy. Taste for seasoning and remove bay leaves.
- Spoon the meatballs into a shallow serving dish and decorate with all of the paper thin lemon slices.