Low Carb Diet Recipe: Toasted Cashew and Red Chilli Beef
Although this meal is low-carb there is plenty of protein to fill you up and the zingy flavours will leave you really satisfied, plus it’s so quick to make! Make sure all of the prep is done before you start and don’t leave the pan once you start cooking; the vegetables want to be bright and colourful and they are easy to overcook. A note from Eatopic: Give the vegetables a really good pat dry with kitchen paper as you prepare them so that they don’t steam in the pan.
- 250 g stir-fry beef steak strips or frying steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 100% mild and light olive oil spray
- 1 lime, finely grated zest and half the juice
- 1 tablespoon mirin (Japanese rice wine)
- 25 g whole natural cashew nuts
- 1 fat clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cm piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 medium pepper, seeds removed, cut into thin strips (any colour)
- 1 medium carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1 medium head pak choi, washed and sliced
- 1 large red chilli, seeds removed, diagonally sliced
- 2 thick spring onions, outer leaves and tops removed, cut into chunks diagonally
- Coat the beef strips in the oyster sauce and a few sprays of oil and set aside.
- Mix the lime zest, juice and mirin together in a small bowl as a dressing. Set aside.
- Heat a wide non-stick frying pan or dry wok over a medium heat and add the cashew nuts. Turn so they colour all over, – it will take about 2 minutes – taking care not to let them burn. Remove the nuts from the pan and set aside.
- Turn the heat to high and spray the pan with oil. Once the oil is hot add the garlic and ginger tossing for 30 seconds to infuse the oil.
- Add the steak strips and fry for 1 minute stirring often. Add the vegetables and fry for a further 2 minutes, again stirring often.
- Pour the lime dressing into the side of the pan and let it bubble. Mix in the red chilli. Remove from the heat and stir in the toasted cashew nuts.
- Divide between two warm bowls and serve.