Healthy Diet Recipes: Shredded Cumin Chicken With Mango and Chilli Salad
This is a really tasty way to incorporate a rainbow of vegetables into lunch without it feeling too virtuous. Cooking chicken this way makes it soft and juicy, the perfect savoury balance for the sweet spicy salad. For a slight variation, try replacing the cabbage with Chinese leaf.
- #For the Chicken#
- 2 medium free-range boneless, skinless chicken breasts (approx. 300g)
- 100% mild and light olive oil spray
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- Pinch of flaked sea salt, such as Maldon
- Freshly ground black pepper
- #For the Salad#
- 150g white cabbage, core removed
- 75g radishes, sliced
- ½ small red onion, cut into half moons
- ½ small ripe mango, cut into thin slices
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- About 10 fresh mint leaves
- ½ medium avocado, peeled and sliced into strips
- 1 lime
- Place each chicken breast between two sheets of cling film on a chopping board and hit firmly with a wooden rolling pin to flatten to just under 1cm thick (don’t worry if holes or tears appear in the chicken).
- Discard the cling film and place the flattened chicken into a bowl spray lightly with oil and coat well with the spices. Season with salt and pepper.
- Shred the cabbage very finely with a knife or mandoline, or coarsely grate it. Combine with the other salad ingredients in a bowl and squeeze over the juice of half the lime, cut the remaining half into two wedges to garnish. Mix the lime juice into the salad until the cabbage softens.
- Heat a medium non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and add the chicken, cooking for 4 minutes. Turn the chicken over and turn the heat to low. Cover with a lid that stops the steam escaping and continue to cook on the lowest heat for 5 more minutes.
- In the pan use two forks to shred the chicken along the grain, soaking up any juice. Be careful not to scratch the pan!
- Divide the salad between two plates and top with the chicken and wedges of lime to serve.