A delicious recipe for crab and tortilla lovers
- 12 soft corn tortillas
- 500 g crab meat (1 lb)
- 250 g Cheddar cheese grated (8 oz)
- 125 g mozzarella cheese diced (4 oz)
- 1 red onion small, finely chopped
- oil for shallow-frying
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander to garnish (optional)
For the RED CHILI SAUCE
- 5 small dried red chilies crumbled
- 1 can chopped tomatoes; drained and juice reserved (425 g / 14 oz)
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions chopped
- 1 garlic cloves crushed
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1½ tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
For the chili sauce
- First make the chili sauce. Puree the chilies in a food processor with the tomatoes and 3 tablespoons boiling water until smooth.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and saute the onions and garlic until soft.
- Stir in the chili/tomato mixture, the reserved tomato juice, tomato puree, cumin, coriander, vinegar and sugar.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Preparing the tortillas
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and shallow-fry the tortillas, one at a time, over a moderate heat for a few seconds until they become limp.
- Pat the tortillas with kitchen paper and spread each one with a little chili sauce.
- Put some crab meat in the center of each one.
- Sprinkle some Cheddar and mozzarella on top, reserving a little, and some chopped onion.
- Roll up the tortillas and place in a buttered ovenproof dish.
- Pour over the remaining chili sauce and scatter with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake in a preheated oven, 200°C (400°F), Gas Mark 6, for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with guacamole.