Coffee and Chocolate Trifle Recipe
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 cups low- fat milk
- 1 tablespoon coffee flavored liqueur
- 16 cream filled chocolate sandwich cookies
- 1 1/2 cups whipped cream
- #The creamy pudding and the crunchy cookies combine to make a great dessert. This is a heart-friendly recipe that calls for low-fat milk but if you can use whole milk instead.# Combine sugar, cornstarch, coffee and egg in a bowl. Pour milk into a pan and heat over medium heat. Do not boil. Add hot milk to egg mixture, stirring constantly.
- Return mixture to pan and cook over medium heat until thickened. Then lower heat and continue cooking a little longer. Remove from heat and add liqueur. Cool pudding immediately, placing pan in a large bowl of ice water.
- Break 8 cookies into bite size pieces and fold into cooled pudding. Next fold in 1 cup of whipped cream. Divide pudding evenly among 8 parfait glasses or custard cups.
- Cover and chill until cold. When you are ready to serve top each with a cookie and a dollop of whipping cream flavored with a few drops of coffee liqueur.