Chinese Cuisine: Whiting Fritters with Cold Fish Sauce Recipe
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsps water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 lb whiting fillets
- Salt and pepper
- Oil for deep flying
- #For the sauce #
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fish stock
- Few leaves fresh mint, finely chopped
- #The delicate flavor of mint in this recipe adds a refreshing taste.# Make the batter by mixing together the sifted flour and the baking powder.
- Mix in the water, followed by the egg.
- Add the oil and a good pinch of salt and beat all the ingredients together well. Set the batter aside to rest for a few minutes.
- Season the whiting fillets with salt and pepper and cut them into small strips.
- Heat the oil for deep-frying. Dip the whiting strips into the batter and fry them in the hot oil until crisp and golden.
- Remove the fritters and drain them on paper towels. Keep hot.
- Meanwhile, mix together the sauce ingredients and serve with the hot whiting fritters. #TIME# Preparation takes about 15 minutes and cooking takes approximately 20 minutes, as you will need to fly the fritters in several batches. #VARIATION# If you do not have the sauce ingredients, the fritters are delicious with a little lemon juice. #COOK’S TIP# Make the sauce a few hours in advance. This gives the flavor of the mint time to develop.