Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe | Chinese Cuisine
- 1 lb Shanghai noodles, or very thin noodles
- 2 tbsps oil
- 8 oz cooked chicken, cubed
- 6 oz Chinese white cabbage or ordinary white cabbage, shredded
- 6 cups chicken stock
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsps Shao Hsing wine or dry sherry (optional)
- ½ tsp monosodium glutamate
- 2 tsps light soy sauce
- #A warming soup enhanced by filling noodles.# Add the noodles to a large pan of boiling water. Stir to loosen the bundles and boil for 4-5 minutes. (The noodles should be just tender but not overcooked.) Drain noodles well.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in the wok and fry the chicken for 1-2 minutes. Remove the chicken and then fry the cabbage in the same oil for 2 minutes.
- Add the seasoning ingredients and stir fry for 1 minute. Add the chicken and cook for a further 1-2 minutes until the cabbage is tender. Add the stock and bring to the boil.
- Divide noodles among 6-8 warm soup bowls and add the hot soup. Serve immediately. #COOK’S TIP# Monosodium glutamate just adds that little bit of extra “bite” to the flavor of a dish.