Chicken Baked With Red Onions, Potatoes and Rosemary
- 2 red onions, each cut into 10 wedges
- 550g (1 1/4 lb) waxy baby potatoes, not peeled
- 2 garlic bulbs, separated into cloves, but not peeled
- salt and pepper
- 8 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 5 about sprigs rosemary
- 1 x 1.8kg (4lb) chicken, jointed into 8 pieces, or 8 chicken thighs, rubbed with sea salt to crisp the skin
- #We will tell you Chicken Baked With Red Onions, Potatoes and Rosemary at our disposal. This simple recipe revolutionized my cooking. There’s no browning and everything’s cooked together in one dish, just bunged in the oven. It’s based on one in Antonio Carluccio’s book, An Invitation to Italian Cooking, and is what home cooking should be: chunky, rustic and deeply savoury.# Spread the vegetables and garlic in a single layer over the base of a huge roasting tin so that they will crisp and brown beautifully. Season, pour over the oil and balsamic vinegar and add the rosemary, leaving some sprigs whole and stripping the leaves off the rest.
- Toss the vegetables with your hands and tuck the chicken pieces in among them. Bake for 45 minutes at 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6 until cooked through.
- Transfer everything to a big platter – or take to the table in the roasting tin.
- Serve a green salad on the side. #And also…# …with sweet potato, smoked paprika, olives and pickled lemons. A popular and more exotic take on the above. Marinate 8 chicken thighs in 4tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp smoked paprika, 5 crushed garlic cloves and the finely sliced flesh of 1/2 preserved lemon plus 2 tbsp juice from the jar of lemons. Put into a roasting tin as above, with 900g (2lb) unpeeled sweet potatoes, cut into big chunks; 2 red onions, cut into wedges; and seasoning. Bake for 45 minutes, until cooked through in an oven preheated to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6, adding a handful of stoned black olives and the shredded rind of the lemon 15 minutes before the end. Scatter with chopped parsley and mint or coriander and serve.