Caramelized Spareribs Recipe | Chinese Style Pork
- 1 carrot
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 leek
- 2 lbs pork spareribs, separated
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 2 tbsps soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup chicken stock
- Salt and pepper
- #These sweet, caramelized spareribs are always a success. Tell guests to use their fingers; knives or chopsticks are out of the question.# In a large saucepan combine 4 cups water with the carrot, bay leaf and leek. Bring to the boil and add the spareribs. Blanch the meat for 10 minutes, remove from the stock and drain well.
- Lay the ribs in an ovenproof pan. Combine the honey, vinegar and garlic, and spread the mixture on the ribs.
- Add the soy sauce and the stock to the dish. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Put into a very hot oven, 475°F, and cook until the ribs are caramelized and have turned a rich, dark brown color. #TIME# Preparation takes about 5 minutes and cooking takes approximately 55 minutes, from start to finish. #SERVING IDEA# Serve on a bed of finely shredded lettuce leaves, lightly seasoned with salt and pepper.