PREP TIME: 40 min
COOK TIME: 1 h
READY TIME: 1 h 40 min
CALORIES: 74 Kcal
⇓ You may also listen to the recipe by pressing the play button below.
- 3 aubergines cut into 1.25 cm (½ inch) dice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 150 ml (¼ pint) passata
- 3 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1 yellow pepper, cored, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, cored, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 25 g (1 oz) anchovy fillets, soaked in warm water, drained and dried
- 50 g (2 oz) capers, roughly chopped
- 25 g (1 oz) black olives, pitted and sliced
- 25 g (1 oz) green olives, pitted and sliced salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley, to serve
1 Put the diced aubergines into a colander, sprinkle with salt and leave to drain for 15-20 minutes to exude their bitter juices. Rinse under running cold water to remove any salt and pat dry with kitchen paper.
2 Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onion and saute until soft and golden. Add the celery and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the aubergine and cook gently for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the passata and cook gently until it has been absorbed. Add the wine vinegar and cook for 1 minute. Add the peppers, anchovies, capers and olives and cook for 3 minutes.
3 Transfer the mixture to an ovenproof dish and bake, covered, in a preheated oven, 180°C (350°F), Gas Mark 4, for about 1 hour. Serve lukewarm or cold sprinkled with chopped parsley.
Calories: 74 Kcal
Protein: 3 g
Fat: 4 g
Carbs: 7 g