Braised Hong Kong Beef Recipe | Chinese Style Beef
- 2 tbsps oil
- 1lb fillet of beef, sliced into matchstick-size strips
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 inch fresh root ginger, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 3-4 fresh tomatoes, cut into thin wedges
- 1/2 lb carrots, scraped and cut into 2-inch strips
- 2 tsps brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp five spice powder
- 2 tbsps light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 tbsps water
- Salt to taste
- #Cutting the meat into tiny strips reduces the cooking time of this dish.# Heat the oil in a wok and fry the beef for 3-4 minutes. Add the onion, ginger, tomatoes and carrots. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sugar, five spice powder, soy sauce, wine and water. Season with salt to taste and cook gently for 8-10 minutes. #TIME# Preparation takes 30 minutes, cooking takes about 15-17 minutes. #BUYING GUIDE# If you cannot get five-spice powder from the supermarket try a health food store.