Beef with Tomato and Pepper in Black Bean Sauce Recipe
- 2 large tomatoes
- 2 tbsps salted black beans
- 2 tbsps water
- 4 tbsps dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp dry sherry
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1lb rump steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and cored
- 4 tbsps oil
- ¾ cup beef stock
- Pinch pepper
- #Black beans are a specialty of Cantonese cooking and give a pungent, salty taste to stir-fried dishes.# Core tomatoes and cut them into 16 wedges. Crush the black beans, add the water and set aside.
- Combine soy sauce, cornstarch, sherry, sugar and meat in a bowl and set aside.
- Cut pepper into 1/2-inch diagonal pieces. Heat the wok and add the oil. When hot, stir-fry the green pepper pieces for about 1 minute and remove.
- Add the meat and the soy sauce mixture to the wok and stir-fry for about 2 minutes. Add the soaked black beans and the stock. Bring to the boil and allow to thicken slightly.
- Return the peppers to the wok and add the tomatoes and pepper. Heat through for 1 minute and serve immediately. #TIME: Preparation takes about 25 minutes, cooking takes about 5 minutes.# #SERVING IDEA: Serve with plain boiled rice.# #WATCHPOINT: Do not add the tomatoes too early or stir the mixture too vigorously once they are added or they will fall apart.# #VARIATION: Substitute snow peas for the green peppers in the recipe. Mushrooms may also be added and cooked with the pepper or snow peas.#