Beef with Green Beans Recipe | Chinese Style Beef
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsps water
- 1 tsp cooked oil
- 1lb lean beef, thinly sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp monosodium glutamate (optional)
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp Shao Hsing wine or dry sherry
- 1/2 cup stock
- 2 tsps cornstarch
- 3 tbsps oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 inch fresh ginger root, peeled and sliced thinly
- 6 oz Chinese long beans, cut into 3-inch pieces, or whole tender green beans
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- #A typically Chinese sauce brings this combination alive.# Mix seasoning ingredients together. Add the beef and marinate for 20 minutes. Drain the meat and discard the marinade.
- Mix the sauce ingredients together.
- Heat 2 tbsps oil in the wok until it smokes. Reduce the heat add the garlic and the beef, and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes. Remove the meat and keep to one side.
- Add the remaining oil to the wok and add the onion, ginger and long beans and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes. Add fried beef.
- Cover and fry for a further minute. Stir in the sauce ingredients and bring to the boil. Simmer gently for 2-3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and serve. #BUYING GUIDE: Monosodium glutamate should be available from good supermarkets, if not try a delicatessen.#