Beef with Broccoli | Chinese Food Recipes
- 1 lb rump steak, partially frozen
- 4 tbsps dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbp dry sherry
- 1 tsp sugar
- 8 oz fresh broccoli
- 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and shredded
- 6 tbsps oil
- Salt and pepper
- #The traditional Chinese method of cutting meat for stir-frying, used in this recipe, ensures that the meat will be tender and will cook quickly.# Trim any fat from the meat and cut into very thin strips across the grain. Strips should be about 3-inches long.
- Combine the meat with the soy sauce, cornstarch, sherry and sugar. Stir well and leave long enough for the meat to completely defrost.
- Trim the florets from the stalks of the broccoli and cut them into even-sized pieces. Peel the stalks of the broccoli and cut into thin, diagonal slices.
- Slice the ginger into shreds. Heat a wok and add 2 tbsps of the oil to it. Add the broccoli and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Stir-fry, turning constantly, until the broccoli is dark green. Do not cook for longer than 2 minutes. Remove from the wok and set aside.
- Place the remaining oil in the wok and add the ginger and beef. Stir-fry, turning constantly, for about 2 minutes. Return the broccoli to the pan and mix well. Heat through for 30 seconds and serve immediately. #TIME# Preparation takes about 25 minutes and cooking takes about 4 minutes. #PREPARATION# Using meat that is partially frozen makes it easier to get very thin slices. #COOK’S TIP# If more sauce is desired, double the quantities of soy sauce, cornstarch, dry sherry and sugar.