Baked Pasta: Macaroni, Spinach And Cheese Bake Recipe
- 250 g dried macaroni
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 50 g plain flour
- 500 ml milk
- 150 g cooked spinach, well drained
- 200 g Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A baking dish, about 30 x 20 cm
- #The spinach adds some colour and vitamins to this hearty bake. Fresh or frozen spinach can be used, but do make sure that both are thoroughly drained.# Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F) Gas 5.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add the pasta, and cook until al dente, or according to the packet instructions.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepan, remove from the heat and mix in the flour to make a roux. Return to a low heat and slowly pour in the milk, stirring constantly.
- Bring to the boil and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Drain the macaroni and add to the sauce along with the spinach, seasoning and half the Parmesan. Mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish, scatter the remaining Parmesan on top and bake for 15 minutes, until golden.