Aguadito de Pollo Chicken Soup From Peru Recipe (Diet Food)
Every mother knows that the best cure for a bad cold, for a stomach problem, for almost any malaise, even a broken heart, is Mama’s chicken soup!
- 6 chicken pieces
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 c cantor paste (blend cilantro leaves with very little water and some salt)
- 1 c light beer
- 1 whole hot red, yellow or green “aji” pepper
- 1 sweet green pepper
- 1/2 c green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 c corn kernels 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 big potatoes, diced
- 1 c brown rice
- 6 c chicken broth
- In a big saucepan, saute the onions, garlic and hot pepper for 5 mins.
- Puree it. Place the chicken chunks in a saucepan with the adobe and salt and let it cook, covered, over low heat for about 10 mins.
- Add the beer, broth, cilantro paste and aji; when it starts to boil, add the rice, red pepper squares, corn, peas, and potatoes.
- Cook for 15 more mins. Remove the aji before serving.
- (In Peru this dish is called Levanta muertos because it’s very nutritious, and is famous as a cure for hangover.)