Zucchini and Apple Soup Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock or vegetable broth
- 3 medium sized zucchini, cut into small pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 slices dark or white bread, cut into cubes
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tart apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup milk or soy milk
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- #For Garnish#
- Chopped parsley and grated orange peel.
- #Broths and stocks are basics for soups. I usually make my own chicken stock or vegetable broth and freeze what is left over to be used later in soups or sauces. Combining a good stock or broth with fresh vegetables produces delicious tasting soups. The simplest of ingredients create great results.# Bring chicken stock to a boll in a soup pot and add zucchini, Simmer until tender. Meanwhile In another pot sweat the onions and garlic in butter and oil until translucent.
- Add bread cubes, stir and cook until bread cubes are crisply toasted. Throw in the apples and keep stirring until the apples are slightly cooked. Add the chicken stock and zucchini and cook a bit more. Season With salt and pepper.
- Purée in food processor and return to pot. Pour in milk and bring to a slow boil. Lower heat. (Can be prepared up to this stage. Then rewarm and continue cooking.)
- Add cream and correct seasoning. Ladle into a warmed soup bowl and garnish with parsley and orange peel. Nutmeg Croutons make a tasty garnish as well. https://eatopic.com/recipe/how-to-store-nutmeg/