Sauce Recipe: Tapenade
- 125g nigoise olives, stoned
- 2 anchovy fillets in oil, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- #Using nigoise olives will give the finished sauce a truly authentic flavour. It is preferable to buy whole olives and stone them yourself – to do this, simply press down firmly on the olives using your thumb, and the olive flesh will split to reveal the stone, which is then discarded.# Put the olives, anchovies, garlic, capers and mustard in a mortar (or food processor) and pound with a pestle to form a fairly smooth paste.
- Gradually blend in the oil and add lemon juice and pepper to taste. Transfer to a dish, cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
- MAKES APPROXIMATELY 150 ML