French Cuisine Recipes: Apple and Celeriac Salad (Pomme et Céleri-rave Remoulade)
Celeriac, despite its coarse appearance, has a sweet and subtle flavour. Traditionally par-boiled in lemony water, in this salad it is served raw allowing its unique taste and texture come through.
- 1 celeriac (about 675 g/1½ lb), peeled
- 10-15 ml/2—3 tsp lemon juice
- 5 ml/1 tsp walnut oil (optional)
- 1 apple,
- 45 ml/3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 10 ml/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 15 ml 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Using a food processor or coarse cheese grater, shred the celeriac. Alternatively, cut it very into thin julienne strips. Place the celeriac in a bowl and sprinkle with the lemon juice and the walnut oil, if using. Stir well to mix.
- Peel the apple, if you like, cut into quarters and remove the core. Slice thinly crossways and toss with the celeriac.
- Mix together the mayonnaise, mustard, parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Stir into the celeriac mixture and mix well. Chill for several hours until ready to serve.