Wonton Soup Recipe | Chinese Recipe
- 20-24 wonton wrappers
- 1/2 cup finely ground chicken or pork
- 2 tbsps chopped Chinese parsley (cilantro)
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- Dash sesame oil Salt and pepper
- Chinese parsley or watercress for garnish
- #Probably the best-known Chinese soup, this recipe uses pre-made wonton wrappers for ease of preparation.# Place all the wonton wrappers on a large, flat surface. Mix together the chicken or pork, chopped parsley, green onions and ginger. Brush the edges of the wrappers lightly with beaten egg.
- Place a small mound of mixture on one half of the wrappers and fold the other half over the top to form a triangle.
- Press with the fingers to seal the edges well.
- Bring the stock to the boil in a large saucepan. Add the filled wontons and simmer 5-10 minutes or until they float to the surface.
- Add remaining ingredients to the soup, using only the leaves of the parsley or watercress for garnish. #VARIATION# Use equal quantities of crabmeat or shrimp to fill the wontons instead of chicken or pork. #BUYING GUIDE# Wonton wrappers are sometimes called wonton skins. They are available in specialty shops, delicatessens and Chinese supermarkets.