Warm Spinach and Avocado Salad Recipe
TIPS: Take care not to toss all the ingredients together as you don’t want to break the eggs or avocado slices.
- 125 ml or 1/2 olive oil
- 4 tsp or 20 ml balsamic vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1/2 tsp or 2,5 ml nutmeg
- 200 g Tomatoes (baby)
- 1 1/2 packets spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/2 basil leaves (bunch)
- 4 eggs
- 1 packet streaky bacon (optional)
- 2 Avocado
- 1/2 cup or 125 ml flaked raw almonds
- 1 1/2 cup or 125 ml flaked raw almonds
- #To ripen green avocados, place in a closed container of maize meal for a day or two – this will speed up the ripening process.# In a microwaveable bowl put the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, nutmeg and baby tomatoes. Cook in the microwave on high for about 3 minutes until the tomatoes start to soften. Stir every minute.
- Once the tomatoes have softened remove from the oil and place on kitchen paper to drain any excess oil. Set aside the oil and balsamic mixture.
- In a larger bowl pour the olive oil and balsamic mixture over the spinach and basil leaves. The hot oil will wilt the spinach slightly but still retain the crunch.
- In a small pot boil the eggs for 7 minutes and place in cold water to stop the cooking process. Peel and cut into quarters. The yolk should still be soft but not runny.
- In a hot frying pan fry the bacon until golden and crispy.
- Arrange all the salad ingredients on one large platter or four individual plates.