Vegetable Stir-Fry Recipe
A marvellous blend of Chinese vegetables and nuts, stir-fried in a little oil and then cooked in an aromatic sauce.
- 2 dried lotus roots, soaked overnight in water
- 2 tbsps oil
- 1½ cups bean sprouts
- ½ red pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- ½ green pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- ½ green onion, chopped
- 1 head Chinese cabbage, finely chopped
- 3 oz dried Chinese black mushrooms, soaked for 1 hour in warm water
- 1 zucchini thinly sliced
- ¾ cup frozen peas
- 2 tbsps cashew nuts, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsps soy sauce
- 1¾ cups chicken stock Salt and pepper
- Cook the lotus roots in boiling, lightly salted water for 20 minutes. Slice thinly.
- Heat the oil in a wok and stir-fry, in the following order, the bean sprouts, peppers, onion, Chinese cabbage, lotus root, mushrooms, zucchini, peas and cashew nuts.
- Stir in the sugar, soy sauce and stock.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Serve the vegetables slightly drained of the sauce. #TIME: Preparation takes about 10 minutes and cooking takes approximately 35 minutes.# #VARIATION: Any type of nut could be used in this recipe, for example walnuts, hazelnuts or almonds.# #COOK’S TIP: If time permits, this recipe is even more delicious if the vegetables are stir-fried separately, each cooked vegetable being removed from the wok before continuing with the next. Finish by cooking all the vegetables together for 30 minutes in the chicken stock as above.#