Vegetable Recipe: Leeks in Lemon Sauce
- 6 leeks, cleaned and dark green ends discarded; cut into 10 cm/4” long pieces and halved lengthwise
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 lemon, cut into thin slices
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- #Leeks, one of my favorite vegetables, turn into a sweet and sour dish with this recipe. You may consider slicing leeks thinly instead of cutting them into long pieces. This dish is at its best when served luke warm.# Place one layer of leeks into a shallow saucepan. Try to flatten leeks by pressing down with hands. Place half of lemon slices and 2 sprigs of thyme on leeks.
- Season with salt and pepper. Repeat this once more creating two layers of leeks.
- Drizzle 3 tablespoons of the oil on the leeks. Meanwhile heat vegetable broth in a pot until luke warm. Mix in the honey, mustard and lemon juice.
- Pour over the leeks in the saucepan. Cook leeks covered over medium heat until they turn soft Should the liquid evaporate before the vegetables are tender, just keep on adding more warm broth or water as needed. –
- Remove from heat and let cool. Then place leeks onto a serving plate. Boil the sauce in the pan to reduce only a little bit.
- Taste and correct seasoning by adding more honey or lemon juice. Drizzle with the remaining olive oil and serve at room temperature.